float

the original kStyle blog.

Friday, May 07, 2004

Jamaica + Senegal = Hell Yes!

Uncle Charlie, here. I like how this site is really hoppin'! Hopefully all you PYT's in kStyle's new cyberniche will take my advice and check out the first of my musical offerings: In Search of the Lost Riddim, by Ernest Ranglin and co.

"Who?" you ask, perchance. My hat's off if you already know about el señor Ranglin, the man who taught Bob Marley how to play the guitar. If Ranglin is news to you (as he was to me until a few months back), let me assure you that he's one of the classiest guitarists you never hoid of. Been on the scene in Jamaica for some obscene number of decades. A vet. Seasoned. The story behind this album is that ever since he toured Senegal with Jimmy Cliff in the 70's, he'd been fiending to get back there and record with some of the musicians he met there--including a cat by the name of Baaba Maal, who will be the subject of my next glowing review on this page. Flash forward to the late 90's; el señor gets his chance, finally.

This is essentially an album of jams recorded, as I am given to understand, in Mr. Maal's home, fronted by Ranglin and backed by Baaba's incredible band. So you get this West-Africa-meets-the-Carribean feel that is...

Nice. The tunes on this record will make you feel about as nice as music can make you feel. And I'm not talkin' that smooth, wallpaper, Enya kind of nice. You will be shaking that ass, but the ass-shaking is...nice.

Get this record. Everyone I've played it for has demanded I burn it for them. We'll talk about Baaba Maal the next time Uncle Charlie pays a visit.