float

the original kStyle blog.

Monday, November 26, 2007

Thanksgiving and Beyond

I had a mostly unrefined Thanksgiving. I ate a bit of stuffing and a nibble of a gorgeous pumpkin cheesecake. (It looked as if made by a real, professional, bakery, but it was, in fact, made by my brother's gf's roommate, who was not even at our celebration.)

My spinach salad was a sleeper hit of the day. Grandma, accustomed to canned spinach if any, was shocked! shocked! that those tender little leaves were spinach. My brother was enamored by his first taste of goat cheese. My sister ate three bowls of the salad. It was weird, a salad being such a favorite on Thanksgiving.

Dancing at the TMI line, I will share that PMS week is an AWESOME time for Thanksgiving to land, if you're a "constantly hungry PMS"-type like me.

Beyond...

We stayed the night and returned home Friday evening. The cats have been like glue since. Some of you may remember my early tales of Luna Cat from this blog. She's Not Like Other Cats. Besides rolling in the litterbox for fun and eating canned beans and tomatoes, her oddities include that she's not noctural, prefering to curl up and sleep on our feet through the night; she's incredibly attached to her people; and she bumps into things in the dark. Her poor night vision and un-aloof adoration of me and G. have been especially evident over the long weekend. In the past, I learned that some of her unusual traits (needing to be at the very highest point of the room, playing fetch and inventing other games, that voice) seem to come from her Siamese mother. Today I idly looked up Siamese cats on Wikipedia, wondering if I'd recognize any other gifts from her mama. And here we are:

They also have a great need for human companionship. Often they bond strongly to a single person. These cats are typically active and playful, even as adults.[3][4]

The social orientation of Siamese cats may be related to their lessened ability to live independent of humans. Siamese coat colouration is appealing to humans, but is ineffective for camouflage purposes. They are less active at night than most cats, possibly because their blue eyes lack a tapetum lucidum, a structure which amplifies dim light in the eyes of other cats. Like blue-eyed white cats, they may also have reduced hearing ability. Therefore, being dependent on humans may have been a survival trait for ancestors of the Siamese. [4]


That's all I want to write for now. I think there was something else, but poof...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home