float

the original kStyle blog.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Saga of The Dudes, Part XII: The Throes of Irony

First, refresh your memory of The Dudes, if necessary.

Inspired by seeing Dave Chapelle's Block Party over the weekend, with my good friend The Littlest Dinosaur, I went to the record store on Sunday to buy a Mos Def album. I rarely step into a record store, so I got a little excited. In addition to "Black on Both Sides", I walked away with the "Veronica Mars" soundtrack, as well as two awesome used albums: "More of The Monkees" and a Frank Sinatra collection.

I decided it would be good, motivational fun to play some hiphop while mopping the floor. (See post below. Yes, I really did mop the floor, no joking. I'm crazy like that.) As soon as the first notes of Mos Def came through my speakers, I could tell this album was good. (Great gratitude to Jason for recommending it. Or should I say, mad props.) So I might have turned it up a little. And a little more. And then, just maybe, the phone rang: The Dudes asked me to turn down the music; they were very apologetic, as it was well before the 10 PM cut-off time, but they were trying to study.

I apologized, sheepishly.

Then I realized, you know, I might like The Dudes, and they me, if our interactions went beyond shushing each other. Maybe, like Dave Chapelle, I will throw a block party. A lower-budget block party.

OH MY GOD!! I JUST REALIZED!!! AS I LOOKED THROUGH THE ARCHIVES

Today is the two-year anniversary of float's inception. Christ.

7 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

Yes, but wasn't part of you inclined to respond, "Sorry dudes, it's payback time"? I would have been so inclined.

And speaking of blogs and such: why the Room for Nuance hiatus, Ann?

9:17 AM  
Blogger kStyle said...

You underestimate my level of subconscious guilt.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

k: Well, now you don't have to feel bad about telling The Dudes to shut up when they make too much noise. Hooray for replacing one kind of guilt with another!

Although, being an expert on guilt myself, that's probably not how it'll work...

Eric, I'm just a little tired of hearing myself talk. Plus I want to redesign everything.

3:17 PM  
Blogger kStyle said...

Ann: Do you blame early Catholic brainwashing for the guilt? I do. Totally.

Also, if you have the occasional blog post pop into your head, feel free to write it here. You're still a team member. For life. No escape. You know too much about the organization.

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, it's Jason. That album will rock socks off, so *warn* people, okay?

1:18 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Heh, k--I was actually going to write, "Blame the Catholics" in my comment, but then I thought I should give them a break, because I've been blaming them for everything lately.

11:18 AM  
Blogger kStyle said...

Jason: Good point.

Ann: Doesn't hurt them to receive the blame, so why not?

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home