float

the original kStyle blog.

Friday, May 13, 2005

Cleanse with Me!

New plan: Let's make it a giant week of Wednesday Writing Assignments. I'll share with you the questions that arise for me as I do the cleanse. You are welcome to answer here, in your own journal or blog, or not at all. I will probably answer the questions once I've finished the whole cleanse.

Jumping right in, here are the questions dancing in my mind during this precleanse transitional phase.

Food Peer Pressure
There's a lot of food peer pressure in our culture. People with food allergies or vegetarian diets deal with it almost daily, as do noticeably overweight people. For me, it mostly manifests in the endless string of "coworker lunches": It's his birthday! She's getting married! They just earned their masters degrees! Let's take her to lunch! I'm not usually into spending my lunches cooped up indoors eating overpriced, dead-feeling food, but I feel a lot of social pressure to do so. Family gatherings are another source of FPP. I don't want to appear rude or ungrateful, but I know I won't feel well after a heavy, fatty, starchy (delicious) meal. (I usually eat it.) What kind of food peer pressure do you experience and how do you deal with it? How do you say "no" and what happens?

Mental Clutter
I feel like I have lots of mental clutter. It's too easy to pour information into the ole brain constantly, from TV, books, radio, television, and our friend the Internet. We're so wired and information is so accessible that I feel guilty when I tune out the news for a few days. I'm hoping that this simplification period will reduce the chatter. How's your mental clutter? Does the media feed it?

note Question 1 relates nicely to what Emma's been writing about lately, and Question 2 to what Ann's been writing about lately, but I am on that link-unfriendly computer now. I'll try to link 'em up later.

3 Comments:

Blogger Emma Goldman said...

Some kinds of pressure are easy to avoid--if there are donuts in the kitchen, I don't take one (usually). If we're going out to a meal, I try to choose something that's less heavy (a salad with dressing on the side; grilled chicken). Alternatively, or sometimes additionally, if I know an outing is in the offing, I'll plan my eating and exercise to accommodate the extra food. If it's a family situation, I try to limit the size of the portion, which can usually be accomplished. (My family tends to eat healthy, so that's rarely difficult.)

As for mental clutter, I'm sometimes amazed at how much information is constantly impinging on my brain. I'm also really good at eliminating a lot of it, though: not watching much television is huge in that regard. I think the media CAN feed it, but I also think that it's up to us to set the boundaries to some extent. I think another way to fight this kind of clutter is to do something meditative--needlework and cooking are two of my favorites, but yoga or a sport works, too--because it organizes your brain in a different way, enables me to take control (such as it is) back into my own self.

10:43 AM  
Blogger kStyle said...

I am awed at your ability to resist tender, plump defenseless donuts. You are my hero.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Emma Goldman said...

The biggest problem with donuts is that they have to be consumed in pairs, so you have one for each butt cheek. Given that, it's much easier to resist.

Really, though, much as I love them in many ways, the pleasure is so transient, compared to the effects . . . I just look at them and think: 250 calories, 15 grams of fat, and for what? That's a whole candy bar. That's 12 pieces of hard candy, the pleasure from which would last MUCH longer. I still eat them, sometimes, mind you, but . . .

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home