float

the original kStyle blog.

Friday, January 12, 2007

Trauma at the Dentist

It was so awful.

My Chinese hygienist spoke poor English and was rushing. She kept placing the X-ray bite in my mouth, rapidly, and I bit on the heavy, sharp plastic. It was OK in the front, but she kept placing it farther and farther back, where it hurt to bite down, plastic digging into my palate and gums. She went so fast, running back and forth, admonishing me to bite down harder, and it really hurt. She was going so fast, and she took so many, but they kept coming, and I started gagging. And then, there it was, the familiar lightheadedness. I told her we had to stop and asked for water; "I'm getting lightheaded."
"You have headache?"
"No, lightheaded," I said weakly. "I might faint."
Then it got worse, the room started spinning, and I wanted to cry. I buried my head in my hands as she waited for me to be ready to resume. "We have to stop today," I finally asserted. "I'm sorry. I'll reschedule for the filling." She still didn't quite understand for a moment.

She told me to rest and went to get the dentist. My hygienist was apologetic, I was apologetic, it was all an embarrassing mess. The dentist, whom I normally like, asked if it was MORNING SICKNESS. I firmly replied that No, I just have a strong vaso-vagal reflex. Glaucoma exams make me pass out; throat cultures are right out and I always refuse them.

Note to dentist: not every overweight woman with a wedding band is preggers. Some of us are just fat. Insult to injury, anyone?

I got to my car, called G, and just bawled. I'm still feeling a little shaky. I'm at home, drinking beer at 2 PM.

7 Comments:

Blogger Larry Jones said...

Poor kStyle! I knew my fear of dentistry was justified. But beer in the afternoon? Honey, do you think that'll be good for the baby?

4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd say you had exactly the right response, especially the beer.

I'd probably be pissed off enough to say something to the dentist, too--about the poor communication from the hygienist as well as about the dentist's question about morning sickness. At the very least, you should not be double-charged for the visits.

And you know what else? Good for you for calling a halt to the whole thing. It sounds like your dentist's office's personnel--including the dentist--could use some training in communicating with patients; imagine the mess if you treated your patients that way!

6:49 PM  
Blogger kStyle said...

Thanks for your support! Yes, as the great Jennifer Aniston said, there's a sensitivity chip missing there.

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of whom, I just watched "Rumor Has It" this week and was greatly amused, particularly by Shirley MacLaine. Though the fact that Jen's hair practically becomes a character all on its own gets annoying.

6:48 AM  
Blogger kStyle said...

I've never seen it--thanks for the tip!

10:23 AM  
Blogger Larry Jones said...

I knew my comment above was slightly out of line, but I hoped you'd get a laugh from it. I swear I came back later and left a comment that said "...just kidding..." but I guess it didn't take.

Anyway, just kidding.

6:41 PM  
Blogger kStyle said...

I knew you were kidding, Larry--I got a big kick out of it. No worries.

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home