float

the original kStyle blog.

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Survey

What do you find relaxing? I mean, utterly, truly, I-could-be-on-vacation-I'm-so-relaxed, relaxing? I got to thinking about this question one fall day when G said, "You know, I don't think anything's more relaxing than sitting on the couch on a weekend morning with the sun pouring in, drinking my coffee, listening to NPR, covered in cats."

This made me very sad at the time, because I was getting toward the end of my rope working 7 days/week. I sadly had to admit that I didn't know what was relaxing.

This weekend, my first of the new year, I'm relearning how to relax. Here are a few things that make me feel I'm on vacation:

-reading Architectural Digest in bed in the morning
-long afternoon strolls
-wheat beers
-watching Rick Steves Europe

You?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

cooking with a friend (either one of us cooking while the other sits around, or both of us doing something), with a glass of wine nearby; lolling in bed, perhaps with a mug of tea nearby; sitting nearly anywhere and reading something for pleasure; watching sports on television while doing something else, everything being done with no hurry; sivasana, back when I used to practice yoga regularly.

I think it's really important (for me, at least) to find little ways to grab moments of relaxation. I've been working crazy days and hours at the bakery, and I've been doing so much side work the past couple of months, I don't get a lot of whole days off, but I know relaxation is absolutely necessary, so I'll take the half-day or the evening here and there and run with it. or saunter, more likely.

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

orange had a related post up yesterday (and I linked to this post, too, in the interests of cross-pollination).

11:20 AM  
Blogger kStyle said...

Thanks for the cross-linkage. I'll have to visit Orange.

Yours sound relaxing, too; and I agree, it's often about grabbing snatched of quality relaxation time.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Larry Jones said...

I can't relax. Thanks for making me think about it. Now I have to see if I can figure out how to unwind.

12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the things I find entertaining about your list, btw, is thinking about "Steves" as a verb and wondering what it would mean to "steve" something.

6:28 PM  
Blogger kStyle said...

Larry: This is a great opportunity to change that around and introduce some R&R into your harried life.

Yours,
Irritating Optimistic

Narya: I think that "steves" as a verb would have something to do with "carrying winter fu-u-el".

Perhaps no one will get that. Hmm, just ask.

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home