float

the original kStyle blog.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

More Evil

This morning I brought my car in for its 90,000-mile checkup. I was very nervous all day, because even though my car runs fine and has no identifiable problems, there was the risk that the mechanic would call and say, "Your transmission has about a month left in it before it DIES. Now give us a thousand dollars."

Fortunately that didn't happen. They found nothing wrong with my car at all. I had to pay about $275 for the checkup, but it was worth it for the peace of mind I'll have as I take trips this summer.

So I went and got the car, drove it home to change into shorts (it's hot today), got back in it, turned it on, and proceeded to back out of my parking space. The only problem was that I couldn't steer. It was as if the power steering was just turned off. I put it into drive and it steered fine. Weird, I thought. Musta been one of those things.

Drove back to the office and just for kicks put it in reverse again. Same thing. Couldn't steer. Additional delight: when I went from Reverse to Drive, the seat belt light went on. None of this was happening this morning when I brought the car in.

I called the mechanic and explained the problem. The manager said, "Hmmm, that's odd." I should say it is. Then she said: "When do you want to swing by?"

"Swing by"? I didn't realize I had to be jaunty about it. I told her I would be there in the morning.

I assume whatever they do tomorrow will be free, right? Right?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the exact reason I avoid hospitals and doctors. I don't need this kind of thing happening to my precious, fragile body.

And yeah, I'd want some free service for your car thing.

3:24 PM  
Blogger kStyle said...

Get the Car talk guys on the horn!

"Swing by"? I didn't realize I had to be jaunty about it. cracked me up.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Update: the car is fixed, mechanic denied responsibility (surprisingly plausibly, actually), and offered to not charge for diagnosis and labor of diagnosis. I pay only for replacement part and labor of replacement, which isn't terribly expensive in this case.

I am satisfied.

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home