float

the original kStyle blog.

Saturday, August 20, 2005

I'm Avoiding Going to the Gym by Blogging. There's nothing good on TV on a Saturday morning.

So now we've got that out in the open. I feel better.

Publishing doesn't pay a whole lot, unless you're a high-ranking ac. ed. Even then. Like teaching or social work, we're supposed to do a fairly painful job for the love. After 4 years in this business, I can finally pay my bills and have a few dollars left to save. It's like that.

There's a group of gals a couple years younger than I at work, very nice, smart people. I socialize with them tangentially, because I'm more into qi gong and reading than, say, bar-hopping or shopping. I usually prefer the company of the geeks and artistes, colleagues slightly older than I, who would rather go to a museum or out for dinner and conversation than drinking at a trendy night spot. There are a few gals in the group I like a lot, and sometimes they come over for a cheesy film girls' night or I go to a barbeque at their places.

In the group of gals is one person with whom I've just never found any common ground. She's very nice, of course, but... So the other day I was excited to have lunch with her and another friend, in the hopes of getting to know her better.

Lunch affirmed that this gal and I are living on different planets entirely (although we did have enjoyable conversation). The best way to sum it up is to show you what I mean rather than try to explain. She really loves Fendi purses. She has a lot of credit card debt.

3 Comments:

Blogger kStyle said...

I think they're really ugly, actually...

12:03 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

I find those purses a little frightening, to be honest.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Larry Jones said...

Gives new meaning to that song "First I Look at the Purse."

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home