float

the original kStyle blog.

Saturday, July 16, 2005

Savages

Announcing an engagement brings great surprises. It transforms loved ones into wedding-hungry savages. It's strange to me that all my life accomplishments up to now--including graduating from a prestigious university and surviving middle school, complete with heckling snobs and a dramatic evacuation from a burning school building*--apparently pale to a deathly wedding-gown-white in comparison to throwing a big party that formalizes my committed relationship of three years. I mean, we've already bought a house and adopted a kitten together.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blase about the whole affair; au contraire, I'm quite happy. But I'm happy in a contented sort of way, not a way that merits three phone conversations a week with my excited mother. You know that jittery, amped-up feeling that results from eating too much sugar and drinking too much caffeine at breakfast? You know how it usually settles down with a nutritious, protein-rich, balanced lunch? Imagine that feeling sustained over the last 2 weeks, since we announced our engagement to my folks. No amount of miso soup or turkey sandwich can help me now. I fear I will have a heart attack by next July 1.


*No, really, ask Ann.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ann said...

Congratulations are only official after they've been posted on a blog. So congrats again! Hope you don't go too insane over the details.

I think you should try to work the (literal) survival of middle school in to your vows.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Emma Goldman said...

Congratulations! One way to cool everyone down is make them wait awhile (on the order of years) for an actual wedding.

If you want any advice or suggestions, or just want to ask some questions or vent, feel free to email me!

5:51 PM  
Blogger kStyle said...

Thanks, gals! I'm sure I'll have an adventure tale after Wedding Dress Shopping with Mom on Saturday...

PS Emma, I was going to email you to tell you, but then I couldn't find your email address. Write me, 'kay?

8:53 AM  
Blogger kStyle said...

Ann, how could I work in the survival of middle school? "Now that I, kStyle, have survived middle school, I know that whatever challenges we face as a couple can be surmounted..."

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home