float

the original kStyle blog.

Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Musings on our Revolution

I find it interesting, when my mind wanders as I drive, that the U. S. and the U. K. are best, best buddies. It casts the American Revolution in an interesting light, not as colonies fiercely struggling against the yoke of oppression, but as a son’s archetypical battle for independence from, and equality with, father.

“Well fought, chap, you’re a man now,” says England.
“No hard feelings, Pops.”
“I suppose you’re ready to be a partner in the family business, then.”

I’ve noticed, too, that our pop culture’s depiction of the British parallels Brazil’s depiction of the Portuguese: a pasty, uptight, slightly goofy older man stands in for the father country. I think, though, that Brazil and Portugal regard each other with a bit more suspicion. Thrown into the same U. S. city together, Brazilians and Portuguese usually keep their distance, despite speaking the same language. The Portuguese, you see, are uptight oppressors who can't samba to save their lives; the Brazilians are unemployed hooligans. Thrown into, say, France together, I imagine that Americans and Englishman would bond rather tightly. Even visiting England, and meeting Englishmen residing here, I find there's a certain bemused/afffectionate curiosity for the other person and her culture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home