float

the original kStyle blog.

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Chain Reaction

I believe it was way back in July when I shared with float readers that I was determined to lose some weight. I increased my exercise and started counting calories, with the help of Lah's nutritional analysis of my needs. I was doing great.

But the scale did not budge. In fact, it went up another few pounds.

School started back up. I lacked the time to count calories, but had a shiny new subscription to Cooking Light and began making most of my meals with their recipes.

Still, the scale did not budge.

My weight-lifting regimen began making my hips incredibly tight. I started losing flexibility and agility, which is problematic for someone who needs to crawl around on the ground to give shiatsu. I stopped the weight-lifting, added a yoga class to my routine, and began doing cardio twice a week. 20 to 25 minutes of cardio, plus stretching, requires far less time than an hour long weight circuit, so I benefited from more free time, too.

Yet, months after I had begun, the scale still did not budge.

And then it did, maybe a month ago. The loss was tentative at first, fluctuating between 170 and 169 pounds. I doubted it was really fat loss, assuming I was probably gaining and losing water weight. But soon, the scale was fluctuating between 168.5 and 170. After I held a steady 168 for a couple of weeks, last week that I was down to 166. And this week, suddenly, I weigh 164 pounds.

I don't know why* the weight is now, after half a year of fruitless effort, falling off like slow-cooked barbecue off a bone, but hey, I'll take it. Maybe it just takes a while to get the ball rolling.

*In truth, I think it has to do with strengthening the digestive qi and metabolism over the last 6 months, so that the stage was set.

4 Comments:

Blogger Emma Goldman said...

You rock! And the reason you rock is that you made healthy choices, and you stuck with them, even when you went for months without at least one of the results that you wanted. In the long run, I think that's the only thing that makes the choices successful. And I repeat: You rock!

9:21 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

The same thing happened to me last year. Gained a few pounds (muscle mass, perhaps?), then lost a bunch relatively quickly as something kicked in. And then I hit a plateau, and I've been within about 5 pounds of it either way for months, which is extremely frustrating.

12:08 PM  
Blogger kStyle said...

Interesting that you've followed a similar weight-loss pattern, Ann. Emma--thanks for the encouragement! You'd make a great personal trainer, you know, which is odd, because in some ways it's the opposite of being a pastry chef...

1:22 PM  
Blogger Emma Goldman said...

Thank you! Actually, I don't see it as opposite at all. All things--in moderation; that's my motto. Well, all things except brussels sprouts, lima beans, cucumbers, and bell peppers.

I've been trying to find ways to teach my stepson this. He's definitely a little on the pudgy side--and, at age 7, I fear that this is NOT a good thing--but I don't want him to become obsessed or unhealthy about it.

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home