float

the original kStyle blog.

Thursday, August 12, 2004

Friday Fortune Cookie

The Cookie is on vacation this week. Filling in we have a special guest, Friday Bibliomancy. Turning to The Best American Essays 2003, we have:

My mother was a shrewd and cunning woman. And I suspect that for the past few weeks, ever since the armistice had divided France into an Occupied Zone and a so-called Free Zone, she had been wondering how to obtain an Ausweis, a permit, to get us to the Free Zone. What luck! she had immediately thought when the accident occurred. She could finally meet the Kommandant of Tours! I was a brave child who had survived some serious illnesses, and as our car reached our destination, she lovingly commended me for my calm as she wiped blood from my face and combed my hair for our important visit.


--from The Debacle by Francine du Plessix Gray
Go forth and apply.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home